Friday, January 09, 2009

Mom will be so proud!

Since Mom and Dad have embarked on their month long journey around the world - well, the eastern states and some of mexico, and i am sooo jealous!!- she emptied out her fridge of all things that could go bad. This giant load of food consisted of lots of veggies and a butternut squash. as lots of you know I am no cook. I would like to be but mostly I bake- which isnt good for the figure but oh well! anyways, this squash was sitting on my counter staring at me with the haunting words of mother dearest running though my head "dont let this go to waste, cook it up it will be so good and healthy......etc etc etc" i think mom told me half a dozen times not the let this squash go bad.
So tonight I made myself, my sister (I only know because I called her to brag) and hopefully my mom if she ever slows down in her life long enough to read about my this - proud!
Here is a photo of the half eaten pot of Butternut Squash Soup! yup, I didn't just cook it up in the oven and then put some sauce on it like my mom suggested, I actually found a recipe that included some green apples- another ingredient that mom gave me an abundance of- some onions, ground coriander (I knew one day I would use some of the random spices I have in my spice rack) sage and sour cream. I didnt have cayenne pepper but it tasted really good without it so i didnt notice it missing and neither did Cam. It was yummy.

anyways enough of me patting myself on the back but i really am proud- i guess i can sorta cook!!

oh and I baked my moms famous apple cream pie with the other granny smiths. I'll put that picture on the baking blog, I will probably only have one slice since Jo and I are on a mission to loose our baby weight which also means my baking blog might be a little slim unless I have other people to bake for and know I wont be tempted to eat any of it.

wow, this whole post is one big ramble... sorry!

2 comments:

Leishman's said...

Wow! Your mom would be proud!!

Jolanda said...

You did awesome!
You have the ability to cook in your blood. You just need to believe it!!