Thursday, September 15, 2011

Melia's 3rd Birthday...

* So I started writing this post a few days after her party but totally forgot to publish it- oops!*

I can't believe my little girl is 3 years old. I vividly remember bringing her home and seeing my neighbours little girl who up until a few days earlier had looked so little and thought, Melia is so tiny she will never be that big... and now, here she is this big little girl... three years old!!!

On August 6th, the day before her birthday, I threw her a Tangled birthday party. I chose Tangled because... well, she doesn't have an opinion and I know my niece Mckenna loves that movie so if I could just have one little girl give me that wide eyed so excited expression it would all be worth it. Plus, even if Melia doesn't 'get it' she still deserves to have a fun, just like everyone else, birthday party!

the morning before Jolanda and Kaycee came over and helped me make the tower cake. It was the first time any of us had used fondant and I think it turned out pretty dang good... Thanks ladies!!

First we painted on canvases because Rapunzel loves to paint.
Then we played Pin the Frying Pan on Flynn Rider. Melia had to leave the room because she was having a meltdown.



After that we went outside and caught bubbles and played with out chameleon horn blowers... I forgot the chameleons name. O'well.



Then we had cake. The expression on Melia's face when she saw the cake and sparklers made everything worth it! It was priceless and makes me so happy when I see the pictures.





At the end of the party we all went outside and wrote our birthday wishes for Melia on balloons and let them go. I got the idea from another blog I read and decided that was something I as going to start as a tradition in my family as well.





Birthdays are hard. They remind me of the things Melia should be doing and it makes me sad, but this was a good day.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I can't believe she's 3! She is so happy with the cake, precious moments!

Leishman's said...

I am so sad I missed the party. I think I may need to hire you as my party planner. haha. The chameleons name is pascal.

Colleen said...

What a lovely way to celebrate your daughter! That smile on her face says it, she gets it, she just couldn't tell you and she looks pretty happy that you were able to read her mind. Throwing a party so soon after the hard news of the diagnosis is hard, good for you!

Ann Marie said...

Your daughter is so cute! She looks thrilled that you threw her such a cool party. It must have been hard, so soon after her diagnosis. I have a difficult time with birthdays, too. I will say that they get a little easier. Abby celebrated her 5th birthday in April, and it was definitely easier than the previous ones.